Sunday, May 13, 2007

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

To all mothers who read this Happy Mother's Day to you. I woke up to a beautiful bouquet of flowers and lovely cards from my son. He makes everyday of my life worth living and he is the one thing I have wanted more than anything in life. SO today I am lucky to be a mom and lucky to have such a wonderful son. and so very very grateful.

Last year my son and I were on our own and Mark was drunk out of his mind someplace in East Hampton, New York. It was a very difficult period of time for all of us. But my wonderful son made my day very special. Somehow this 7 year old boy managed to save money to take me to a decent restaurant for dinner and managed to find someone to take him to the store without my knowing to buy flowers and cards. He did everything to make mother's day very very special and he did.

He is an awesome kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I miss my mom terribly. I am going to call her in a little while, and as always when I hang up the phone cry as she does not know who I am and I can not be near her to hug her. It is times like this that I am grateful for the wonderful times I shared with her and the special closeness she and I always had..I love you mom so very much..That is what I will tell her when I call and I pray that in the recesses of her mind she knows it is me and knows how much I love her.

Today we will spend mother's day as a family and do something special.

I just sent an email to a friend of mine whose mom died a few weeks ago. In it I shared with her that the first year without someone we love is difficult every time there is a holiday. This mother's day I am not alone with my son but my husband is with us and he is sober (this means not drinking and working on this thinking!). It might not have turned out this way. I am grateful that it did.

One other thought for today, a little unrelated but a thought that I have: Yesterday a friend of Mark's from AA came over. He is a carpenter and repaired a piece of furniture that was broken in one of Mark's drunken stupors. But he had the furniture in his shop for close to a month....He was not drinking when he started to work on it and then he slipped. When he came here yesterday to bring it back fixed he looked fine to me. Mark said he was not fine and could tell by talking to him. He was unable to do other work he was supposed to do here and Mark said he was looking for money...Money Mark knew he would spend on beer. What a horrible illness this alcoholism is..Also for me I realized how cunning and baffling alcoholism is. Based on what I went through with Mark I thought i could spot an alcoholic and their behavior. WRONG. I thought his friend was fine. This makes me so mad. Today I pray for this guy AND in the spirit of mother's day I pray for all the children who's mom's suffer from this disease. This disease robs them from a happy, joyous, free, and loving relationship together. And for those families where mom is in recovery I pray that they appreciate the wonderful gift and miracle that they have.

And for my little family. I pray we have a good day.

Happy Mother's Day.

Hunter

1 comment:

Angel The Alien said...

Hope your family had a greath mothers day! Your son sounds like a wonderful kid!

content

meta tag