Saturday, June 30, 2007

Firsts

Hello from Hunter-



Yesterday we went to a party together. This is the first party mark has gone to since he has been sober...usually I do things alone. There was a lot of alcohol readily available. He did not slip and he had a good time. I also did not worry about him slipping. It was terrific.



The party was hosted by an Alanon friend of mine and there were a lot of people there whom I knew from meetings I went to a long time ago. It was good to see them, and since all of them met me when things were at their worst, it was great to share with them my progress as a person and our family as as a sober together unit.



I am filled with gratitude this week for the wonderful town I am still fortunate enough to live in. Our son is in a wonderful camp for the summer on full scholarship-this camp includes ocean study, golf, tennis, swimming, and other sports...he is a lucky boy and we are lucky to be the recipients of this gift of kindness. The town has also arranged for passes for us to the beach fireworks next week which are always awesome...and our home is filled with fresh food weekly. In addition our entire family is on the state insurance program-and we are getting incredibly good care. My knee has been hurting a lot lately-yesterday with no referral necessary I called a doctor and was seen immediately....I can not always say the state program has been this good but I notice a marked improvement lately. Our son has an appointment with a real pediatrician-not a clinic where he has had to go before, and I am looking forward to bringing him there-in the past I have avoided the horrible clinics and only taken him to emergency rooms...

We have no money or savings today and can not find work, but I am grateful that the system really does work for families in need. I wonder if I am experiencing this because my attitude is different meaning I am grateful, humble, and do not expect things. In the past I have been embarrassed, angry, and in denial of my situation...others in this situation behave like it is an entitlement. Doctors and others are shocked when I express my gratitude and thanks-it is not something they hear often. I know for a fact attitude makes a difference.

I have approached the town to endorse a job scholarship program I would like to put together. Due to legalities they can not endorse it but I am going to move forward with it anyway. The concept is simple. Internships are offered to students who are looking to get into the work world. Why not offer internships, or "back to work" scholarships for people in our town who have had setbacks in life and need a fresh start-this can be people who have had addiction and recovery in their families, divorce, or other problems and are having a hard time getting back on track..You see the job boards are useless and it truly is networking that gets people back in the loop. Networking is really difficult when there have been so many other problems and if a person his humble enough to ask for support services in our town, then there should be a program like this. I am going to start working on this next week and will blog about my progress.

God's time is slower than ours but God really does hear our prayers when they come from a place of humility. God has brought sobriety into our home, and this is what I wanted so very much. I did not want to get divorced and I wanted to experience the good in my husband...Yes I could have married someone who was less complicated, not suffered the financial problems, had a close extended family, perhaps even had another child which I would have loved....but I didn't. And today I can say I am happy with the man I am with and the wonderful person he is becoming each day he continues to get more and more sober....I have more than I could have ever dreamed of as a result.....as for the money...I know it will come...I am smart, he is smart, and as we become more and more humble each day we attract good energy and people....people want what we have and want us around....it will all work out...and it will be great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was married to a recovering alcoholic and experienced the same things you are in terms of mood swings, etc. One question I wanted to ask you is- has Mark ever been diagnosed with bipolar disorder? People with BP disorder often respond well to medication and can live very fulfilling lives. There is high co-occurence rate for bipolar disorder and alcholism. I encourage you to check internet websites for BP symptoms, just to rule it out if nothing more.

content

meta tag