Thursday, June 28, 2007

THE BALD EAGLE IS IN RECOVERY!!!!!!

Hello from Hunter-

Today's Associated Press Headline states "The American bald eagle, a national symbol once almost wiped out by hunters and DDT poisoning, has not only survived but is thriving". Mark is bald and often our son and I call him the "bald eagle". I found this headline analogous to our life in recovery. We have survived and we are on the road to thriving...although that road is really rocky-especially financially.

The article refers to the eagle population's "bottom" in 1963. Our bottom as a family was December 2006! However, our battle with this horrible disease truly started 7 years ago. Our program and desire to change started 3 years ago-me starting in alanon 3 years ago and mark in AA 2 years ago. So if our full recovery is to be analogous to the Bald Eagle's it will take 44 years from the start to make a come back. This means that we will be near death and in our early 80's before full recovery!!!!! If I use the timing for recovery from when DDT was banned (1972 and slow recovery began) and liken that to when the drinking stopped the time frame would be 35 years for full recovery of the bald eagle, meaning that full recovery for us will be when we are in our early 70's!" I can also take off 10 years, as the bald eagle has appeared to be in full recovery for the past 10 years and that would make our full recovery possible in our early 60's! And slow recovery has started this year and things get better each day.That actually seems about right. It is a long road.

But each day we practice gratitude and attitude! Today I am strong and can get through anything. In my current situation most people would be falling apart. I have been laid off my part time job for the summer and there is no unemployment compensation. I am treated like a slave by my boss when I am there. Mark and I are both having a hard time finding work and the house is in foreclosure and our current income is below the federal poverty level. I have applied for welfare and have not help from my family, many of whom are very very wealthy!!!! I have a lot of faith and I know that I will get through this.

What is different today? There is no active drinking is the primary factor. Also, my attitude is different. I have stopped being a victim, I have learned humility, I continue to focus on me and grow as a person....My husband does the same...There are many many problems and challenges but we are talking, we are calmer, we are together, our son is happy, and we are no longer in denial-for the most part. We are thankful for the things we have, we are not jealous of others, we are not "poor me", we are courageous and determined.. We have full of experience, strength and hope, and we pray everyday for guidance.

John Kostyack of the National Wildlife Federation, called the eagle resurgence "truly one of America's great wildlife success stories" I believe our families' recovery will be truly one of America's great marriage and family success stories."

Stay tuned!

No comments:

content

meta tag